Gas Boiler Service And Maintenance

Guest dan uk

I really wouldn't bother with one of the major company schemes mate.. better to have it added to your house insurnace. i would speak with them.

Once upon a time BG were the cream and had an excellent reputation. now they are full of cowboys, employing any old idiot and all work that is done is often by not-long-qualified-contractors who screw it up and BG don't want to know. We've put LOADS of BG work right.

I'm a plumber, have a company and in my opinion it's overall better to just service it every year properly.. in 20mins he isn't doing it properly.. and go from there.

A well maintained system will not have any issues with heat exchanger and diverter valve assemby but some can run into pcb and gas valve issues costing about 150 and 100 respectively.. rest is simple maintenance.

What area are you in ????

Avoid BG.... my neighbour had them put in a new Condensing Boiler.... two boilers later (three in total) and two new kitchens (due to catastrophic water leaks which BG paid for) ... the damn thing still whistles and booms on start up..... and ru66y BG still can't fix it

Once upon a time BG were the cream and had an excellent reputation. now they are full of cowboys, employing any old idiot and all work that is done is often by not-long-qualified-contractors who screw it up and BG don't want to know.

Mmmmm. How far back is 'Once upon a time'? :blink:

30 years ago we had a survey done by BG to install a gas fire in a downstairs room, the survey was completed by a suited BG manager. He pointed out that one of the existing gas fires was burning in such a way that it was in a dangerous state. 'Strange' says I, 'We have just taken out an annual maintenance contract with BG and the engineer came to inspect all three gas fires and passed them as in A1 condition'. :lol:

The poor guy was "persuaded" by me to rectify the dangerous fire there and then....his white shirt was none too clean when he had finished stripping down and reassembling....We also got back our maintenance fee and cancelled the contract.

...So much for progress :lol:

An 18 year old, family member of ours (on the wife's side) works for BG, and he was sent off to college to be educated. 6 weeks later he was a fully qualified plumber AND a fully qualified electrician. After another week he was given a van and sent out to peoples homes..!!

Modern apprenticeships aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

It took me 6 years to learn my trade.

Many thanks for all your replies. It seems she is not alone.

TP, the boiler is a "White Star", the same company as was responsible for the Titanic IIRC!

Mum has an "SR" postcode. Any idea how to go about finding a reputable company there? Our remaining contacts there all seem to be with BG or NPower.

I

Ian,

Try ringing your house insurance company; they often have a list of recommended tradesmen. You still have to be selective though! Or possibly the local council/trading standards.

Found this by searching for 'gas and heating engineers sunderland'...

Rated People

Is this the boiler?...

Ravenheat Little (White) Star - installation instructions

If the boiler is mounted on a backplate, like the one in the pdf, you shouldn't have to add additional clearance behind the boiler. BG seem to like to try to apply the latest regulations to existing installations.

Blooming marvellous Pete, I don't know how you found those instructions!

I could have done with those at the time. Unfortunately mum isn't "on-line" * and we couldn't find the paper copy. I will study the pdf in more detail. It's actaully the clearance to the side that's the issue, (dimension G in Fig 28) that and the very tight clearance to the flue which vents to the side that make removing the cover difficult.

Thanks also for the link to recommended engineers. I will see what that brings up.

(*She actually has Virgin cable but we were happy to get the TV and 'phone to work; having 120 channels and new cordless handsets were enough complications without also saying about the wireless router. If I were unscrupulous there are 3/4 unsecured wireless networks near her house. If I could actaully get a Virgin engineer to guarantee to call when I next visit I would see about broadband, just for such occasions.)

Edited by iamian
  • 12 years later...

After watching the latest British Gas ad for a new boiler, bragging about a 5 year warranty, I double checked the warranty on our new boiler we had fitted in february 2021, after a lot of review searching I selected an Atag, no cheap but excellent reviews and a massive 12 year parts and labour cover subject, naturally, to annual servicing