I have been working really hard to get the most recent backup online, the mismatch in technology has let me down all my most recent backups are just not playing ball.

The good news is not everything is lost and still many years of know how preserved. 

How did this happen ?

2 or 3 reasons really 

1. I have a life outside the forum and that took over a massive amount with kids, grand kids and work not to mention social isolation. 
  2. Server technology updates - I had a script to back up all important files every week, however this became obsolete and stopped working :( 
  3. I moved the site to shared hosting which meant reprogramming a lot of the database and site, as this was the first one to repair I may have broke the main database a bit :( 
  4. I hope to fix the broken database but after months I have a working one so would prefer to stick with that. 

I am very sorry for lost posts and members but i really thought this site was gone forever :( 

• Like 1

Thanks Glen.  

I keep redirecting guys on FB here to try and answer their questions using the large 'corporate' knowledge already in here.

Great to see it still surviving....  :)

• Like 1

Only just but this last fail is a wake up that if the data is to survive on the web I need to update it a lot,

I will have to get rid of a lot of obsolete plugins and programs over time to get the forum as back to basic as possible before attempting to upgrade to newer and better platforms, Once I have all 3 sites working without error I will then concentrate on fixing properly. 

Fixed so far 

1. Database connection (that being the most important for many reasons) 
  2. Removal of obsolete code and database entries (crap that will no longer work on newer platforms causing errors) 
  3. Fixed email validation system to work with internal server configuration) 
  4. secured and fixed friendly URLs although many posted in previous posts may show error 404 (still working on the different formats) 
  5. Speed issues, as I changed server I decided to put it all onto Linux, it is faster but not without complication in trandslation, i.e. it is case sensitive so a lot of re-writing done and still to do. 
  6. Database update, although database is in a newer version it can be better again for future proofing the site. 

I have lost a lot of data for that I am sorry, I was just unable to salvage it at that point and time, it does not mean it is lost forever, it just means I found a database that I could work with that did not involve looking through 5 million lines of code to try and find the issues, job for another day. 

I love the site for the general chit chat, its sad so many have either swapped vehicles or just given up on trying to open the site after what seemed like a lifetime of 'error' notices, ps, still have a picasso

• Like 2

Once I get all sites to a stable standard I will email all members to let them know it is back online,, 

I have a lot of work to do and experimenting with the lesser visited website first in case I really screw things up. 

it has taken 3 days just to search out the bad assci code in the smallest database to be able to get 18% through upgrade,

first one is a learning curve so once I get one right I can get all right :D :D 

2 sites down with the upgrade process, and I learned a lot from both. 

No 2 sites are the same and both had their problems I still have a lot of modifications to do but as they are stable I will concentrate on upgrading this one next. 

I will not lie, the database is my biggest worry but as I take 3-4 backups at each process I think I have a quicker upgrade process this time , plus I learned from my mistakes :D 

Will Keep you all posted but here are the other 2 sites upgraded 

http://fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/

http://citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/

• Like 1

Yippee, hope all the posters manage to get back on line

I still have a lot of changes to make to all sites, this one is still upgrading in the background, and going to take a few days to complete even though I am forcing a lot of it to happen in real time when I am around. 

Once it is fully complete I will send a mail shot out to members to let them know it is fully functioning again 😄

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.