Hi Citroen xsara Picasso 1.6hdi 2007 turn key lights on as normal but won’t start it’s starts no problem if I bump it but not with key . I’ve changed starter but still won’t start any ideas please 

All I can suggest is battery terminals or bad earth, sorry

10 hours ago, Trevor196969 said:

Ok would it still bump start if it was battery and leads or earth 

A poor connection could pass minor currents that will suffice to feed instruments but incapable of passing the amperage for a starter motor, this is only a suggestion due to returning to airport parking after a week holiday and finding my car with similar symptoms, the parking crew came with jump leads and eventually got the car [Xsara Pic diesel] started, next day went under passenger seat to remove battery for charging and discovered one of the battery terminals was loose and only resting on the battery, in the car park jump starting was done using the engine compartment connections 

2 hours ago, Trevor196969 said:

Hi I’m shall look at this today do you know where I should be looking to check earth on car 

All I could suggest is start at the battery

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 08.45.21.png

When you turn the key, do the lights come on but the starter doesn't rotate

Or does it turn over.

If the first then I'd say it's battery connection. There is a terminal under the bonnet as you know and that gets corroded, clipping a lead into it will sometimes bypass the bad connection. Strip it down and clean. Clean the battery terminals too.

If the latter then suspect the IMOBILISER. If you remove key count to 10 reinsert dies it now start. If so it's the immobiliser system. A non powered chip in the key makes a loop with the aerial in the steering column.

3 hours ago, stimulator said:

When you turn the key, do the lights come on but the starter doesn't rotate

Or does it turn over.

If the first then I'd say it's battery connection. There is a terminal under the bonnet as you know and that gets corroded, clipping a lead into it will sometimes bypass the bad connection. Strip it down and clean. Clean the battery terminals too.

If the latter then suspect the IMOBILISER. If you remove key count to 10 reinsert dies it now start. If so it's the immobiliser system. A non powered chip in the key makes a loop with the aerial in the steering column.

Lights come on but just does not rotate it’s just dead does not even turn over 

Then I'd go with the battery terminals and the engine compartment terminal it's under a cover with a + on it.

Passenger side on the wing there is a electronic box as I turn the ignition key it clicks in this box can you suggest any thing that may be located in this electronic box that may be some how connected 

Posted (edited)

As you have a diesel I think that might be the glow plug control box.

On all HDi engines every time the ignition is switched ON, the glow plugs are powered and the pre-heat system operates. The  warning light on the dash will most likely not illuminate BUT the glows will be powered. They are then kept powered after starting, this is called post-heat cycle. They stay powered till certain parameters are met, like temp, rpm.  Even in the warmer months.

Your problem is the engine doesn't turn the pre/post heat not working DOES NOT prevent the engine rotating.

The starter solenoid is part of the starter motor. Modern starters are pre-engaged type, where the drive pinion is slid along the drive shaft to mesh with the flywheel gear ring before the motor turns .

Now you say the starter motor was changed.

So:

A) did you reconnect the power lead to the motor?

B) did you reconnect the earth strap?

if you have a voltmeter then check the voltage that you have at the following points. Use the engine mount as a return (-ve)

1). The terminal under the bonnet. It probably is there as the lights come on. It should be over 12 volts. If not duff cable from battery. If it is there great. Goto 2).

2). The starter motor. It's fed direct from the under-bonnet terminal, so should show the same as in 1). above. If not broken cable possible. If it is there great. Goto 3.

3). When the key is turned to start, the other connection on the starter should go live to engage the solenoid. It should be 12 volts. If not broken wire, or duff ignition switch, or burnt out maxi fuse on fuse box. If it is there great but that would indicate a bad earth return or a duff starter solenoid in the starter motor.

Edited by stimulator

As I said the IMOBILISER chip is in the key fob. It's near the key blade and is a black cube. It is non powered. There is an aerial in the column shroud. When the key is in the ign the aerial senses the chip. 

Have you opened the key fob lately to change the battery.? The chip can fallout without it no starting.

If missing you need a new chip which has to be programmed. 

Try this if key not been opened. Insert key. Turn to position 1 press and hold either the door lock or the unlock button (doesn't matter which) for 10 secs. Now release button, remove key try again. That is to reintroduce the key to the car after the battery goes flat in the fob but it may work. Otherwise if the chip us missing Timpsons can prog a new fob with chip for you.