Hello,

I have a C3 Picasso Exclusive 115bhp - 13 Plate (May) - 58K miles.

I recently broke down on the motorway (ESP/ ASR and Engine Warning Lights) car went into limp mode and was towed to an auto electrician who diagnosed that fuel injector no was to blame. The auto electrician said that it wasn't something that he normally does so referred me to a local garage. They have yet to pick the car up but have warned that certain engines - namely 12 plate would not be possible to change just one injector and that all 4 would have to be done!

The car was probably worth around £2.5k so I really wouldn't be willing to spend £1.6k to get this sorted and would probably scrap it. Which is a shame as the car is really tidy - has full service history, just had new front brakes and pads and drove beautifully. I'd be happy to maybe spend up to £400 to get it back on the road again. I really don't like the idea that a whole car would be scrapped because one fuel injector went bad...

The garage was basically saying that you will end up more problems fitting a new injector as it would be at odds / incompatible with the old ones - in this case could the bad injector be removed - sent away for refurbishment and refitted once done? I would be happy to be without the car for a couple of weeks if it meant it could be repaired at reasonable cost.

Has anyone any experience having a fuel injector failure and were you able to sort it at reasonable cost?

thanks.

Edited by RichardF280166

I had a sudden limp mode on my c4 picasso, diagnosed [a] dud or dying battery, alternator not charging, followed by [c] a failed injector, which led to [d] programming injector, ending up with a sizeable bill added to the towing recovery charge, shortly after g/box went faulty, traded car in, had enough throwing good money after bad

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply.

So changed the fuel filter and all was OK?

I have just had the car serviced and the diesel fuel filter was done as part of this so I really don't think this could be my problem. The filter is a £30 item.

Thanks

Edited by RichardF280166

Many moons ago I had my Fiesta diesel serviced and mot'ed at one of these tyre places but getting it back the engine was very sluggish, no power or acceleration, bought a recognised brand of fuel filter and the car was back to peak condition, spurious filters from the cheap sheds dont do as they should, imagine if it was an oil filter, the damage that could do

Thanks.

Thing is I had the car serviced before going away on holiday and I can honestly say the car never felt better. It was after about 400 miles of driving  and with about 60 miles to go to get home that the warning lights came on and we had to stop. So it wasn't like the car was performing bad since being serviced.

Hello Richard

I've not had Cotroen injector problems, but worked on a lot of diesel engines.  Quite a few times I had injectors "serviced and recalibrated".  The last set of three (three cylinger small John Deer plant engine,) cost around £290 + postage to fully remanufacture.

Getting the injectors out and replacing them should be in the realms of a DIY mechanic friend. Try looking for a video on Youtube  Heres one I found on the first search 

Resetting the Fault Codes will probably need plugging a Citroen cmpatible OBD reader in, available for around £150 on Tinternet.  Try http://www.ukprodiagnostics.co.uk/pages/citroen_c3_best_diagnostic_tool_247664.cfm

Try Googling "Diesel Injector Service asd Recalibrating" or any other words you want to put in suche as "Repair" "Suppliers".

There is probably going to be someone reasonably close who can give you phone advice if they can help you.

Hope this helps

Cheers Paul.

The garage I am talking to on this have basically said look you are looking at £1600 - there are no shortcuts... they are a good garage and probably want to do a proper job rather than try and save me some money.

I currently don't need the vehicle on a day by day basis so removing the injector/ injectors and getting them refurbished and put back in a week or so later looks to be a viable solution.

Its not something that I could do so I would need a (mobile?) mechanic to do the necessary removal and refitting.

Slight problem that car is around a mile away from home at the yard of the original auto electrician who diagnosed the fault (I am guessing he'll be contacting me soon to see when I'm going to be moving it) - still need to figure out how to retrieve the car - maybe back onto my drive - but still not sure...

I really don't want to attempt to drive it back as I could be causing further damage.

I suppose I'm still gutted that the car has gone bad on me. I got new discs and pads just 3 weeks ago so that has compounded my grief!

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

The car proved too costly to repair so has been sold to a motor trader - who is either going to repair or sell for parts. Shame as it was generally a great car - a few things were on the way out and that prompted me not to invest more money into it. I'll be following it's future life (if it has one) via the MOT history website.

I now have a 20 plate SEAT Arona - so we shall see how that goes!

I have driven Citroen's for the best part of the last 20 years and I do like them - warts and all.

Thanks

Richard