Long time back had to run xpic tank low for a recall which meant the tank had to be removed, when the job was done and I refilled tank the gauge was very inaccurate, dealer said it will right itself when it starts to recognise the tanks level, it did after the next fill-up, not saying this will be the same for you though

Has this happened before when completely filling the tank or do you not normally fill it so much ? Was it showing the same level before you filled it ?

Level senders can wear and need replacing and they can sometimes stick. I would see what happens when you have gone far enough to drop the level below three quarters before spending any money.

How many miles has the car done, what year is it, which model is it ? On some the level sender can be accessed by removing a panel under the rear seat, others need the fuel tank lowering which can make a quick job become a major one, first needing the tank emptying so would be done when the level is very low by which time you would see if the fuel level is showing again.

Edited by Paul.H
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I had this problem when filling up in the summer 2021 with 1.6Hdi 90 bhp model 2013 c4p2 I think nickname is.

Noticed tank was reading 0.75 full as it was prior to total tank fill. I t was hot 25-30 c ambient and it does tend to froth.

Next day it had corrected itself.

Same happened today filled to top from 0.75 full it has not gone to full tank after two starts and 5 miles so watch this space when I use it next Friday see what happens.

I have noticed also with a full tank it tends to bring engine management light on after accelerating which clears after a few starts no code on obd2 I have put this down to frothing of fuel confusing the sensors and fluctuating air pressure caused by this.

Somew say re-boot by disconnecting battery I am happy to wait and run fuel down a bit then it resets itself.

I am not too keen on doing a partial tank fill/top up. For diesels with an exhaust dpf using eolys fluid, the fluid is injected at each fill and there is a calculation on the number of fills to estimate when the eolys tank is empty. By having lots of fills the eolys tank may run out sooner than if the fuel tank is only filled when on a low level. Also by doing partial fills the fuel in the tank gets quite old which may/may not lead to problems, I think diesel can build up a jelly that blocks filters.

It seems odd that there are no stored fault codes when the engine management light has been on. You can also look at pending fault codes which might still be stored. You could do with checking live data of the sensors to see if any are showing values outside normal such as turbo pressure when accelerating.

It would be nice if the op would come back to give an update but I have noticed very few people are doing this on the forums I go on. Seems rude to me and actually replying to give them help has been a waste of time, pity they do not end their posts by saying they will not bother coming back so we know not to offer help.

Edited by Paul.H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine is a cheap obd2 supermarket type so not sure it will have the sophisticated data and stored information facility you mention Paul. I am happy if the light goes out on its own as it is not an intrusive fault preventing me using the car.

It is not the eolys type cat on mine.

First time posters do not know the site owner does not look after the sites so not a reason for them to not bother coming back. I think what happens is people post something expecting an instant reply of help, when this does not happen they go away and do not bother coming back to read any later replies. On voluntary forums there is no way somebody would be available all the time so maybe they are expecting too much.

Supercar, have you looked underneath your car to see if there is an eolys tank/bag. I thought Citroen diesels with a dpf used eolys but if it is no longer used, might have stopped when they introduced blue hdi engines about 2016.

Edited by Paul.H

I looked in a handbook for a 2013 C4 Picasso and for diesels it mentions an additive for the dpf but does not name it. There is a note on filling the fuel tank 'If you are filling your tank to the top, do not persist after the 3rd cut-off; this could cause malfunctions' but does not specify what might happen. Also when filling, I think it states at least 10 litres need adding to register on the level gauge.

• Like 1

Quoting Paul

"Supercar, have you looked underneath your car to see if there is an eolys tank/bag. I thought Citroen diesels with a dpf used eolys but if it is no longer used, might have stopped when they introduced blue hdi engines about 2016."

As I said it is not EOLYS (2013) the hole for the 'PISS' container is in the boot and has a plastic cover in it but is not used.

I will read the handbook regarding your comment and feel sure that is the reason you state I put 12 litres in negligible in terms of 10 litres.

I have done about 15 miles today and stopped the engine about ten times it still indicates 0.75 full.

So will post when it reads normal again expect that will be less than 0.75 mark hope to do that tomorrow.

As I said it has corrected itself before after doing the same thing so adding the handbook notes confirms this.

Nah then popped to garage to fill tank again.

It would appear what Paul states is correct.

The fuel guage at 0.75 after low fill reduces as normal until next refill.

Mine was near 0.5 mark when I arrived at fuel pump.

I put 17 litres in and it put the fuel  bar indicator back to 100 %.

Ouch £144.5 a litre highest I have paid.

Ruddy 'ell, not looking forward to my next fill-up, suppose I'm just thankful its a diesel, think the moral of the story on two counts is to keep the tank as near full as feasible to keep the gauge working and ease the burden on your pocket 

3 hours ago, Supercar said:

Ouch £144.5 a litre highest I have paid.

I hope your decimal point is in the wrong place. Our local Shell garage at Waitrose has been £1.459 a litre for diesel over the last week but I filled up at a Morrisons last Tuesday when I passed at £1.399 a litre. Next week doing about 400 miles so I will need to fill up again after that, hope the price drops by then but unlikely.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Paul.H said:

I hope your decimal point is in the wrong place. Our local Shell garage at Waitrose has been £1.459 a litre for diesel over the last week but I filled up at a Morrisons last Tuesday when I passed at £1.399 a litre. Next week doing about 400 miles so I will need to fill up again after that, hope the price drops by then but unlikely.

Was dreaming of pence a litre 🙂