evening folks.

hoping someone can help as i'm having a few little problems.

the car is an 07 plate picasso 1.6 vtx.

the main problem is i am unable to get any fuel into the tank. this all started the other day, went to the garage to fill up after having to syphon some fuel from my other car during the fuel shortage last week.

for some unknown reason i was only able to put under £10 in before the pump clicked off, so, thinking there my have been a blockage in the filler neck i went home & checked it by feeding a length of old hosepipe down the filler into the tank.

pulled the hose back out & the end was wet with fuel. so thinking there wasn't a blockage i went back to the garage & tried again, same result only this time i was only able to get about £5 in.

the 2nd problem i think is linked to the first one, fuel gauge seems to be stuck showing one bar under full even though i know there not that much in there, well, after syphoning the fuel from my other car & putting it in the picasso with the syphon pump i checked the gauge which showed a full tank, the following day i drove to mablethorpe & when i saw a garage that was open & had fuel i decided to top the tank off to be on the safe side.

to me both the problems seem to be linked (though i could be wrong).

so, does anyone know what the problems could be? i'm completely stumped on this one, i really cannot figure out as to way i am unable to fill up with fuel, as to what could be causing it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance  

drove back home the same day (150 mile round trip) & thats when the problem 

Is your car petrol or diesel ?

Some filler necks have a flap in them and the fuel pump nozzle needs to be pushed in far enough to fully open the flap. If not done it will cover the end of the nozzle and the pump will think the slight blockage is the tank being full. First time we had a car with one of these flaps it took some getting used to so it could be filled up. You will not be having problems pushing your hose in since this will open the flap as it goes into the tank.

The fuel gauge I would wait until you have used up most of the tank to see if the level drops and then fill it up again. If the gauge does not respond to the level changes then maybe it has some wear in its electrics in the tank and might need replacing. I may be wrong, but I think to replace the level sender needs the tank lowering from the car, so best done on a very low level. If a petrol car then be very careful not to ignite the petrol fumes from the tank when the sender is removed/replaced - this means do it outside in the open, no ignition sources from sparks, smoking, etc, cover up the sender opening in the tank if the new one is not to be put back straight away.