I changed the oil in a friends car, I normally get in, turn on the ignition and check the oil light is on, then start and make sure it goes out. However, with this 2009 Citroen C3 Picasso 1,6 HDI diesel, the light comes on and goes out after a few seconds without starting the engine. Is this normal? This does not allow you to check the correct operation of oil pressure switching the light off.

I had not thought about this on our Citroens, the warning lights all go off apart from the engine management light when the dash lights up after turning the key. The engine management light goes off once the engine is running and all its various things are checked. You could have a look in the handbook to see what it says about the oil light.

Which oil did you use, Citroen usually say Total INEO ECS 5w/30 for the 1.6 hdi as noted in the Maintenance and Warranty book ? On the 1.6 hdi it has a reputation for early turbo wear if the correct oil is not used and changed annually (or a mileage if sooner). This oil is relatively cheap as well if bought on-line.

Edited by Paul.H
6 hours ago, Paul.H said:

I had not thought about this on our Citroens, the warning lights all go off apart from the engine management light when the dash lights up after turning the key. The engine management light goes off once the engine is running and all its various things are checked. You could have a look in the handbook to see what it says about the oil light.

Which oil did you use, Citroen usually say Total INEO ECS 5w/30 for the 1.6 hdi as noted in the Maintenance and Warranty book ? On the 1.6 hdi it has a reputation for early turbo wear if the correct oil is not used and changed annually (or a mileage if sooner). This oil is relatively cheap as well if bought on-line.

I looked in the manual and it does not mention the light at all or how it operates except if it comes on, STOP. I've never owned a car where the light goes OUT a couple of seconds after the ignition is switched on even without starting the engine. There is a separate light for the oil quantity which says oil_ok.

I bought oil at an auto shop after giving the registration, it's 5W30 of the latest specification.